THE GRAPHIC STYLE MANAGER
The Lead Graphic Designer supervises research activities on graphic and artistic trends.
THE LEAD GRAPHIC DESIGNER'S MISSIONS & PROFESSION
In practical terms, the Lead Video Game Graphic Designer designs or supervises the design of the graphic and visual elements of a 2D / 3D video game, such as the setting, textures, characters, and sometimes even the lighting and special effects. He / she uses Computer-Aided Design and Computer-Aided Drafting. He / she makes sure that each element fulfils its function within the video game project.
The Lead Video Game Graphic Designer is responsible for the design and production of video game graphics. He / she is both an artistic and a technical expert, who guarantees the progress of the project and the respect of deadlines in his / her field. He / she supervises and assists his / her team of graphic designers.
He / she is one of the most important members of the production team. The Lead Graphic Designer, who is responsible for a large part of the creative content of the project, proposes the graphic universe that will convince all the customers targeted by the project.
REQUIRED QUALITIES & SKILLS
The Lead Graphic Designer must fully master :
- graphic software,
- the principles of motion pictures,
- notions of anatomy (human, animal, alien, etc.),
- notions of architecture and art history,
- tools such as level editor and content integration editor,
- scripting techniques (xml, etc.),
- the implementation of drawing techniques (on paper or computer)
- but also pre-calculated and real-time rendering and lighting techniques (Lightmaps, Vertex color, Ambient occlusion).
He must also know how to :
- federate the graphics teams (planning of activities, monitoring, evaluation, etc.),
- support the development of the team members' skills,
- Participate in the recruitment process (definition of needs),
- to steer the creation of evaluation tests,
- conduct interviews,
- follow up on integration,
- ensure the implementation of problem-solving techniques and assign the work according to the skills of each participant, by managing priorities through good analytical and synthesis abilities.
IN ADDITION, HE / SHE MUST BE ABLE TO DEPLOY MONITORING TECHNIQUES.
In order to provide the best possible support for his / her team, the Lead Graphic Designer must be diplomatic and pedagogical, adapt his / her speech according to his / her audience, and possibly manage and arbitrate a conflict. He / she must be ready to become totally involved in this profession, and not be afraid to question himself/herself.
CAREERS & ADVANCEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
The holder of the Lead graphic designer certification mainly works for private video game development companies. These companies may be more or less important, independent or under the leadership of a publisher.
Remuneration: between 32k€ and 40k€ (minimum 32k€; maximum 43 k€; median: 36 k€) . Over the years, he can expect to evolve and eventually become an artistic director.