LEAD PROGRAMMER: THE VIDEO GAME HANDYMAN
Clearly, this position is for someone who is passionate about video game development.
THE LEAD PROGRAMMER'S MISSIONS & PROFESSION
De facto, the Lead Programmer supervises the video game development project. He / she plays a key role in the creation of a video game, supervising, organising and coordinating all the development process within the project.
To this end, he / she supervises a team of developers and programmers, and ensures that each mission is carried out successfully and that all specifications are respected.
His / her knowledge, responsibilities and skills are therefore extensive and, above all, cross-disciplinary.
Thus, he / she must :
- actively participate in the design and production of video games within a multidisciplinary production team;
- develop with a game engine and various complementary technologies;
- prototype game mechanics;
- program optimized software components suitable for the constraints of real-time interactive animation;
- integrate game resources such as 3D models, animations, interfaces, visual effects and audio files.
- The Lead Programmer carries out architecture and development decisions, manages the development of complex functionalities and ensures compliance with technical specifications.
REQUIRED QUALITIES & SKILLS
The Lead Programmer is in a way the handyman, as he is required to master the different programming languages and tools necessary for the game development.
In addition, he must also :
- monitor the quality and manage a team;
- demonstrate pedagogy, rigour, diplomacy and a solid sense of analysis;
- have an excellent culture in the field of video games;
- display an analytical, innovative and critical spirit with regard to the quality of the gaming experience;
- be comfortable with subjective notions such as target audience, gameplay;
- possess the necessary managerial skills.
Given his / her busy schedule, he / she will work long hours and invest himself / herself to ensure that the project meets all graphical and technical requirements.
CAREERS & PROFESSIONAL OPPORTUNITIES
The Lead Programmer mainly works for private video game development companies. These companies may be of varying sizes, independent or under the direction of a publisher.
Becoming a Lead Programmer is possible upon completion of appropriate courses. A game designer's training, such as the one offered at ETPA, is highly recommended.
This profession is also accessible after several years of experience as a video game programmer.
Remuneration: Between 32k€ and 42k€ (minimum 20k€; maximum 86k€; median salary: 34k€)
The Lead Programmer may have a solid career path in the world of video games, but his / her profile, experience and knowledge will enable him / her to work in other fields as well.
After a few years as a Lead Programmer, he / she may turn to positions such as technical consultant, functional analyst or even Project Manager.